Sometimes you just need dinner to be simple and tasty. This easy Beef and Green Chili Egg bake is perfect for busy days where you need a quick and hearty meal. Eggs are amazing, inexpensive and can double as brunch or dinner.
My two favorite things about this meal are that one batch is usually enough to feed my family of four twice and that you can do everything ahead of time and then just pop it in the oven to cook before you dinner. I usually prep everything in the afternoon, then put it in the fridge until dinner time and let it warm on the counter while the oven preheats. Then a quick bake and dinner is done! No attention necessary during the very busy evening crunch. Then I immediately take half the batch and portion it out to either my freezer (check out this article for more on using your freezer to save time and money),or into lunch servings for the week.
The original recipe came from here. My version is simplified even more because of time, and the unavailability of whole green chilis in my regular grocery store.
Beefy Green Chili Egg Bake
1 lb of ground beef
2 small cans of diced green chilis mild or hot depending on preference
1 diced onion
2 cloves of garlic diced
8 oz of shredded cheese
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat a skillet over medium heat and brown your ground beef. Just before it is cooked through, add the diced onion, garlic, and drained green chilis. Allow the onions to soften and the beef to finish cooking, then remove from the heat.
2. In a bowl crack your eggs, and season with salt and pepper and lightly beat them.
3. Lightly grease a 9X13 pan and layer half the beef mixture in the bottom, followed by half the cheese, then half the eggs and repeat. Save a little bit of the cheese to sprinkle over the top.
4. Cover in foil and refrigerate until you are ready to bake.
5. Bake at 400 for roughly 30 minutes or until the egg is set. Your bake time may be longer or shorter depending on how cold your pan is when going into the oven. It is done when the top is set and the cheese is slightly brown.